To become an approved employee-vendor, BYU personnel must:
- Complete and sign a Request for Employee-Vendor Approval form, committing to follow the procedures and limitations placed upon Employee-Vendors as listed on that form; and obtain approval from the dean/director of the administrative area where he/she is employed.
- Send the request to the Purchasing Department, C-40 ASB, for review.
- Receive written notification of approval from the Purchasing Department. (Purchasing Department will also send written notification of requests that are denied.) The Human Resource Committee will review any appeals of decisions made by the Purchasing Department and Human Resource Services.
Employee-vendors doing business with BYU shall not:
- Be paid with any BYU credit card, unless BYU Purchasing has given written approval for credit card purchases.
- Sell goods to his/her own department or division, or any part of the University where the employee-vendor has the ability or opportunity, by virtue of his/her employment or inside knowledge that has come through his/her BYU employment, to influence the decision to purchase from his/her enterprise.
Occasionally it may be deemed appropriate for an organizational unit of BYU to purchase goods or services from an Employee-Vendor, who is employed by any part of that same organizational unit or its parent. Such purchases shall be requisitioned on a Purchase Requisition and sent to the Purchasing Department, with the following documentation:
- A statement from the Dean or Director that he/she is aware of the request and certifies that the decision to buy from the Employee-Vendor comes from others in the organization—not from the Employee-Vendor.
- Analysis that explains valid reasons to consider for purchasing goods or services from the Employee-Vendor.
Purchasing will conduct its own analysis of the Purchase Requisition, by obtaining competitive pricing and evaluating all sources. Before placing a Purchase Order with an Employee-Vendor, Purchasing shall obtain approval from Human Resources for that transaction. Purchasing maintains the right to refuse to place orders with any Employee-Vendor based on the additional internal costs of doing business with an Employee-Vendor according to this policy.
Blanket Purchase Orders are not an appropriate payment tool for Employee-Vendors.