Conference Assistant Responsibilities
Conference assistants are expected to:
- Represent and promote a positive image of Residence Life, Brigham Young University, and The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
- Become acquainted with conference personnel and counselors.
- Look out for and help conference participants.
- Supervise early arrival youth activities; suggest free-time entertainment options, etc.
- Help guests maintain an acceptable level of conduct by encouraging guests to follow the Honor Code and the Summer Conference Housing Guidelines.
- Commit to providing excellent customer service and promoting a positive housing atmosphere.
- Help guests resolve concerns or conflicts that arise during the conference or camp.
- Assist hall advisors with meeting the guests' needs.
Safety and Security
- Promote safety and security.
- Conduct head counts to account for all youth participants.
- Unlock and/or secure residence halls as outlined by the hall advisors.
- Assist during emergencies.
- Assist Residence Life staff personnel in preparing for all incoming conference groups.
- Help with custodial duties as assigned (i.e., linen exchange, trash, etc.).
- Assist with conference check-ins and check-outs.
- Assist hall advisors in assessing payment for damages and lost items as guests check out.
- Assist hall advisors in conducting inspections of rooms for fire hazards, proper maintenance and housekeeping.
- Assist hall advisors in maintaining accurate key inventories.
- Maintain daily contact with management (i.e. the hall advisors and/or area manager) to report special needs, guest concerns, damages, maintenance repair needs, or emergencies relative to conference guests.
- Assist the hall advisors in preparing a recap evaluation after a conference concludes and the guests depart.
- Attend weekly staff meetings.
- Be fully acquainted with and supportive of the Housing Guidelines and Summer Conference Housing Guidelines.
- Act directly under the supervision of hall advisors and area management.
- Support hall advisors in their responsibilities and be available to fulfill floor, hall desk, area front desk, roving, and on-call assignments as directed by hall advisors or area management.
- Fulfill other assignments and duties as directed by hall advisors and area management.
People to Know
- Conference assistants are Residence Life employees who assist hall advisors and area management in facilitating the stay of conference guests.
- Hall advisors are responsible for guests living in Residence Life housing areas. They supervise conference assistants.
- Area management supervises the hall advisors and is responsible for all guests and students living in the Residence Life housing areas. Area management offices are located in each housing area.