Sublease From a Current Tenant
A subleasing program has been developed as a convenience for current tenants who would like to leave the University during the spring and summer months. To be eligible to sublease an apartment during spring and summer terms, you must be a current BYU student and take a minimum of 4 credits during spring and summer terms (which can be split between two terms or taken during one term). If not already married, you must marry no later than 30 days after beginning to sublease.
Subtenants are not eligible for the laundry discount.
If you are interested in subleasing an apartment from a current tenant, please contact the Wymount Terrace Office at 801-422-2549 for information on available apartments.
Sublease Your Apartment
You must live in Student Family Housing for at least four months and be registered for the following fall semester as a full-time day continuing student to be eligible for the program.
Your subtenant must be eligible to live in Student Family Housing and be a BYU student taking a minimum of 4 credits during spring and summer terms (which can be split between two terms or taken during one term). The sublease period may begin no more than 30 days before the marriage date of the subtenants, if not already married.
You must make all subleasing arrangements. All subleases must first be approved by Student Family Housing. An application must be turned in to the Wymount Terrace Office at least one week prior to the start of your sublease. Student Family Housing is not responsible for broken sublease agreements. You, as the resident, are responsible for the rent and damages of the subtenant who occupies your apartment.
The subtenant will not be given preferential consideration for placement into Student Family Housing.
In addition to the information above, the following conditions apply to subleasing:
- The monthly rent and electricity bills will still be charged to your student account.
- You are responsible for the condition of the apartment at the end of the sublease time.
- In the event the sub-tenant violates University Policy or Housing Guidelines, the sub-tenant may be removed from the apartment.
- Any furniture requested or rented by the sub-lessee will be put on your account/contract.
- Any rentals or additional keys must be requested through the current tenant, not the subtenant, even if the sublease period has already begun.
- You may charge no more than the current BYU Student Family Housing Rate according to the number of bedrooms available.
- Example: If a 3-bedroom is leased as a 2-bedroom, the sub-lessee pays the 2-bedroom rate. You will need to pay the difference to make the rent equal to the 3-bedroom rent charge.
- Students who are graduating are not eligible to sublease their apartment without verification of acceptance into a graduate program at BYU.
- An apartment may be subleased for no more than one semester or two terms.
- The University prohibits single students or non-students from living in the Student Family Housing facilities. All subtenants must be married no later than 30 days after the time of moving-in and be a current BYU student or a BYU student eligible to enroll for fall semester.
- All University financial accounts must be current ($0.00 balance) in order to sublease.
- The transferring of apartment and mail keys are the tenant's responsibility and not that of Student Family Housing.
If a sublease lock is requested to store items inside one of the bedrooms, you must rent a BYU lock and key, which BYU must install and remove at the end of the sublease time. There is a $50.00 charge for this lock. Arrangements may be made by calling Auxiliary Maintenance at 801-422-4411.
Sublease Request Forms and Sample Sublease Contract
It is strongly recommended that a contract be drawn up between you and the subtenant. You may view and print the sublease request forms and sample sublease contract here. You must complete the sublease form and submit it to the Wymount Terrace Office for approval. If you have any other questions, please contact the Wymount Terrace Office at 801-422-2549.