On-Campus Housing

Frequently Asked Questions

Collapse all | Expand all

Room Selection/Contracting

When can I sign up for housing?

Fall/Winter and Summer room selection will take place during late March and early April. Winter Only room selection will take place during late November or early December. Spring room selection will take place in February and March. Room selection dates and times are based on when students complete the admission application to the University.

Can I tour the buildings?

You are welcome to tour the housing areas. To do so, contact each area front desk individually.

Helaman Halls
Heritage Halls
Wyview Park

Can I have a Fall-Only contract?

No; contracts are for both Fall and Winter Semesters. If you will be leaving BYU, going on a mission, getting married, or entering the military after the Fall semester, you may petition to be released from the winter portion of your contract.

My friend and I want to live together. Can I put a bed on hold for my friend?

Yes. After you have contracted for a room, select the bed you would like to put on hold and enter the NetID of your friend when prompted. Please note that you must use your friend's NetID. Names, BYU ID#'s, etc. will not be accepted. Your friend now has exactly one hour to log in and accept the hold before it expires. You may repeat this process to hold a bed for an eligible friend as many times as there are available beds in your room/apartment. An eligible friend is one who turned 19 before January 1, 2015, or who is a returning resident.

Do I have to have a meal plan?

Helaman Halls residents are required to have a meal plan, and Heritage Halls and Wyview Park residents are encouraged to obtain a meal plan. A meal plan is a great option for everyone.

Where are the new buildings at Heritage Halls?

The new buildings at Heritage Halls are located on the north end of the complex where Deseret Towers used to be and the southeast corner of the Heritage Halls complex. Buildings 25-28 have been open since the 2011-12 school year, buildings 9, 29, and 30 since Fall 2013, and 10 since Winter of 2014.

I don't like my room selection date. Can I get a different one?

Room selection dates and times are assigned based on when students completed the admission application to the University. Your date may not be moved up or changed, even if you will be out of town on your room selection date. If you feel an error was made during the application process, please contact the Admissions Office.

What do the different colored beds mean?

Green beds are available and open for you to select. Yellow beds are on hold for another student. Red beds are taken. White beds are unavailable. White beds may be in the Hall Advisor’s apartment, the RA’s room, on hold for a student with disabilities, or not being used.

The room selection process tells me that I can’t live on campus because I’ve been evicted. Why?

Go back to Step 6. Did you check both boxes? Checking the boxes indicates that you have never been evicted and you are not a convicted sex offender. Both of these boxes must be checked in order to contract for a room.

How do I know if I successfully secured a room?

Log into your My Housing Account. If you successfully contracted for a room you will have received a message saying Agreement Submitted. Also, on the right side of the page look under Future Accommodations. Your room will be listed there.

Where can I find my future roommates' names?

After you have contracted for a room click on “Housing Agreement (Room Selection)” under the “Single Housing tab” of your My Housing Account. Under your floor plan you will see a list of your roommates and their email addresses.

How can I swap my room?

In My Housing Account, go under the Single Housing tab, click on "Housing Agreement," click the appropriate term, scroll to the bottom of the page, and click on "Find a Different room". Find a room you would like to swap into and click on a desired bed to submit the swap request. A message will be sent to the student that is currently in that spot, letting them know you would like to change rooms with them. They will have 48 hours in which to respond to the swap. If they don’t take any action within that time, the swap will expire. If they accept or decline the swap, you will receive a message informing you of their decision. If the swap is for a future term the swap will then be complete. If the swap is for a current term, your Hall Advisor(s) must approve the change. Remember, once a swap request has gone through, the change is final.

Can I get on a waiting list for housing?

There is not a waiting list for on-campus housing.

I couldn't get a room on my room selection date. Can I sign-up for someone's cancelled contract? My internet is slow.

We encourage you to stick with it each Monday and Wednesday. With the number of freshmen coming and the number of cancellations we expect, we anticipate being able to house all the freshmen who want to live on campus; it may not be in your preferred location and it may take some time before you are able to secure a contract. As we get later into the summer we will see more beds open up.

All the rooms in Heritage Halls are full, but I want to live there.

We simply do not have the space to house all of the students who want to live in Heritage Halls. We understand that Heritage Halls may be your first preference, but we are confident that you would also enjoy living in Helaman Halls or Wyview Park.

I’m going on a mission after fall semester. How can I be released from the rest of my agreement?

During October or November you will need to submit a Petition for Agreement Release. You can find this petition under the "Single Housing" tab of your My Housing Account. Type in what mission you are going to and the date you will enter the MTC and submit the petition. If you have not yet received your mission call, indicate so on the petition. You will need to submit your missionary deferment form to the BYU Admissions Office or send a copy of your mission call to the Campus Accommodations Office in order to be released from your housing contract and receive a refund of your $100 security deposit. Also, if you have registered for Winter Semester classes, you will need to drop these before you can be released from your contract.

I’m getting married. How can I get out of my single student contract?

Congratulations! After you know your marriage date, submit a Petition for Agreement Release. You can find this petition under the "Single Housing" tab of your My Housing Account. Type in the date of your marriage and submit the petition. You may be released from your contract up to 7 days before your marriage. You will need to update your marital status with the University or send a copy of your marriage certificate to the Campus Accommodations Office in order to be released from your housing contract and receive a refund of your $100 security deposit.

How do I move off-campus in the middle of the year?

Your contract is for both Fall and Winter Semesters and you will be charged for both semesters, even if you choose to sign a contract with an off-campus location.

I want to sell my contract at the end of fall semester. How do I do that?

We do not allow residents to "sell" their contracts. If you want to move off-campus or you are having roommate trouble you will probably not be released. However, you may be given the option of finding a replacement to take your place for the remainder of your contract. This replacement must be someone who does not already have an on-campus contract.

Where can I read my contract?

After you have submitted a housing agreement, you may go back and read your contract at any time by logging into your My Housing Account, going under the "Single Housing" tab, clicking "Housing Agreement," clicking the appropriate agreement period, and in the table at the top clicking the "View Agreement" link.

What is FERPA?

FERPA stands for the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act. Each student will set up a FERPA Identifier as part of the application process. Anyone calling our office regarding your housing and dining records will need to provide your Housing Identifier to receive specific information over the phone. For more explanation, click here.


I am not attending school in July. Why is there a housing and/or meal plan July payment?

We take the full cost of living on-campus for Fall and Winter Semesters and divide it into ten payments, five for each semester. Two of these payments, July and August, are due before the fall portion of the agreement begins. Each payment covers 23 days, not a full month. Splitting the cost up makes the payments smaller and easier for you and your family to budget.

Why are there ten payments if I live on-campus for eight months?

We take the total cost of your contract and divide it into 10 payments, five for each semester. Payments begin in July and continue through April. By increasing the number of payments, we make them smaller and easier for families to budget.

Moving In

Why do I have to schedule a check-in time if I will be living in Heritage Halls?

Everyone hates long lines. With scheduled check-in times, we hope to reduce these lines by having the right number of staff there when you arrive. Scheduled check-in times also help reduce traffic congestion as there is no on-site parking at Heritage Halls.

Can my parents help me move in?

Your family is welcome to help you move in. Members of the opposite gender may help you move in and be in your bedroom from 10 AM to 9 PM the day your arrive. After that, members of the opposite gender may not be in your bedroom except at Helaman Halls during designated Open House hours.

After my family drops me off can they stay with me?

We’re sorry, but the residence halls are single student housing. Your roommates will be arriving soon and there will not be space for your family to stay.

How much does it cost to check-in early?

When early check-in is available, students will be charged $15 per night. For check-in dates and early check-in instructions, visit the Moving In page.

Can I, and how do I mail my stuff to my new room before I arrive?

You may mail your belongings to your new room, provided they do not arrive more than a week before you do. Send them to your residence hall mailing address and you may pick them up after you check in.

Why is there a gap between the summer and fall contracts?

Student generally do not stay during the the break between Summer Term and Fall Semester. During those two weeks BYU hosts Education Week and we use much of on-campus housing to accommodate these guests of the University.

What do I do with my stuff during that time?

You may contact the front desk of the area in which you will be living for Fall Semester to see what temporary storage may be available.

Can I stay for the break?

If your circumstances will not allow you to go home, etc., during the break, we have a limited amount of interim housing available. You should contact the front desk of the area in which you will be living for Fall Semester arrange interim housing

How long is my bed?

In Helaman Halls (except David John Hall) the beds are extra-long twin. David John Hall has standard twin beds. In new Heritage Halls, the beds are extra-long twin. In the traditional Heritage Halls buildings, the beds are standard twin. All the lofted beds in Wyview Park are extra-long twin, and single room beds are standard twin. Linens are not provided in any of the three on-campus housing areas so you will need to bring your own sheets and blankets.

Living On Campus

Do I have to live on-campus as a freshman?

It is not required for first-year students to live on campus, but most do and it is strongly encouraged. Living on campus gives you access to the support of Residence Life staff like your RA and Hall Advisor, who can help you transition into college life. Even those who have previously lived on their own, such as on missions, greatly enjoy living on campus and being part of the BYU on-campus community. The Residence Hall Association also organizes many activities throughout the year including dances.

What's my mailing address?

You can check your mailing address by logging into your My Housing Account. Your mailing address will be listed on the right side of the page under Future Accommodations. Often it is just your room number followed by the name of your hall. The zip code is 84604. Don’t put BYU in the mailing address as that may delay your mail.

What if I don't think I can get along with my future roommates? Or, I if can't get along with the roommates I have now?

We encourage you to try working things out with your roommates. Before you arrive you can email your roommates to set up apartment quiet hours and cleanliness standards. After moving-in, you can work with your RA and Hall Advisor to resolve conflicts within the apartment. The Conflict Resolution Center in the Wilkinson Center is also a good resource to turn to. If you find that you just can’t work things out, you may want to consider swapping into a different room.

Can I have a guest stay with me?

You may have a guest for up to three consecutive nights if both of you are at least 18 years old and they are of the same gender. You need to get approval in advance from your Hall Advisor and roommates before having a guest. You are responsible for your guest’s behavior at all times, and your guest will need to present identification when they arrive. If you have a guest without approval you will be charged a $40 per night fee.

Do I have to be taking classes to live on campus?

To be eligible for on-campus housing, you must be an admitted full-time day continuing BYU student enrolled in classes. As an undergrad, you must be registered for at least 9 credits per semester in fall and winter and at least 4 credits per term during spring and summer. Graduate students must be enrolled in at least 2 credits per semester or term. UVU students, evening students, and ELC students are not eligible to live on-campus.

Do I need a parking pass?

You do not need to obtain a physical parking pass, but you will need to register your car online with the BYU Parking Office at police.byu.edu. As parking officers drive through the parking lots, the scanners on the top of their cars will read your license plate number and check it against their database of registered cars. There is no on-site parking at Heritage Halls.

Why isn't there parking at Heritage Halls?

BYU's goal is to create a pedestrian-friendly campus, involving as little traffic as possible. For this reason, as we construct new housing on campus, it will feature green space--including bike parking--and access to remote, but not on-site, parking. Lots at the Marriott Center and the Law School are meant for students who must commute to campus, so we encourage students who live within walking distance of campus to not worry about bringing vehicles to school.

Car sharing is available on campus and allows students to rent cars by the hour for occasional needs. BYU's bike sharing program and UTA (Utah Transit Authority) are additional transportation options.

If you believe you must have a vehicle at school with you, you may want to consider living in Helaman Halls where on-site parking is available. If Heritage Halls is still your favorite option, there is parking space provided at an off-site location in the parking lot west of the LaVell Edwards Stadium.

Can I bring a blender/toaster oven/etc?

If you live in Heritage Halls you are welcome to. However we ask that you store these items in the kitchen. In Helaman Halls, small appliances are not allowed in the rooms as there is no kitchen to store them in. Each building in Helaman Halls has a microwave on the main floor (and most have an additional one in the basement) that you are free to use.

Can I have small appliances in my room?

Please do not store or use small appliances in your bedroom. We don’t want to create fire hazards for you or your neighbors.

Are there kitchens in Helaman Halls?

Helaman Halls provides a kitchenette in the basement of each building, except in Building 9. Each kitchenette is equipped with a sink, refrigerator, microwave, stove and an oven. You are welcome to use them and you can even check out cooking supplies, such as cookie sheets, spatulas, blenders and oven mitts from the hall offices. But, remember that there are over 200 other residents in the building who also want to bake their brownies, etc.

Does Heritage Halls provide dishes and/or cookingware?

No, you will need to bring your own dishes and cookingware.

Which housing area is the closest to campus?

All of on-campus housing is just that--on campus. Heritage Halls is a 5-10 minute walk from the library. Helaman Halls is about 10 minutes from the library. Wyview Park is about 20 minutes.

What are visiting hours?

Guests of the opposite gender may visit apartments at Heritage Halls and Wyview Park within visiting hours, but they may not go into the bedrooms or bathrooms. You are responsible for the behavior of your visitor. Visiting hours are as follows:

Helaman Halls Visiting Hours

Lobby Hours
Saturday-Thursday 8:00 a.m. - Midnight
Friday 8:00 a.m. - 1:30 a.m.
TV Room Hours
Everyday 7:00 p.m. - 10:00 p.m.
Open House
Wednesdays and Sundays 7:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m.

Heritage Halls Visiting Hours

Apartment Hours
Sunday-Thursday 10:00 a.m. - 11:00 p.m.
Friday-Saturday 10:00 a.m. - Midnight
Lobby and Common Room Hours
Saturday-Thursday 10:00 a.m. - Midnight
Friday 10:00 a.m. - 1:30 a.m.

Wyview Park Visiting Hours

Apartment Hours
Saturday-Thursday 9:00 a.m. - Midnight
Friday 9:00 a.m. - 1:30 a.m.

FLSR Visiting Hours

Apartment Hours
Saturday-Thursday 9:00 a.m. - Midnight
Friday 9:00 a.m. - 1:30 a.m.