The following information is applicable to prospective residents of Helaman Halls, and Heritage Halls who graduate from high school in 2017. Room assignments for the Foreign Language Student Residence are done by the College of Humanities.
Room selection dates and times for the Students Under 19 communities (2017 high school graduates) are based on when the student completes his/her application to the university.
Collapse all | Expand all
When do I select a room in a Students Under 19 community?
Students who are admitted to the university are automatically eligible to live in on-campus housing. No additional application is necessary.
Room selection dates and times for the Under 19 communities (2017 high school graduates) are based on when the student completes his/her application to the university.
Fall-Winter Semesters 2016-17
- First day to indicate roommate preference (must be mutual to be honored)--March 3
- Last day to indicate roommate preference (must be mutual to be honored)--March 6
- Room selection dates posted to MHA message board--5:00 pm on March 9
- Newly Admitted Students Under 19 (based on room selection date and time)--March 22-April 1
- You may see a list of available rooms by selecting View Available Rooms from the "Students Under 19" tab on the On-Campus Housing website. In order to choose a room, log in to My Housing Account and select "Housing Agreement (Room Selection)" from the Single Housing tab.
- There is no guarantee of space availability on your particular room selection date. If, on your room selection date and time, there is not space available in your preferred type of room, please note that openings from cancellations are made available for room selection at 4:00 p.m. Provo time on Monday and Wednesday afternoons unless otherwise indicated.
Winter Semester Only 2017
- Room selection will be available beginning November 1, 2016.
- You may see a list of available rooms by selecting View Available Rooms from the "Single Students" tab on the On-Campus Housing website. In order to choose a room, log in to My Housing Account and select "Housing Agreement (Room Selection)" from the Single Housing tab.
- There is no guarantee of space availability. If there is not space available in your preferred type of room, please add yourself to the Waiting List.
Spring Term 2017
- Check back on March 7, 2017 for more information.
Summer Term 2017
- Check back on March 7, 2017 for more information.
Fall-Winter Semesters 2017-18
- Check back on March 7, 2017 for more information.
Winter Semester Only 2018
- Check back on October 1, 2017 for more information.
When do I select a meal plan?
You may select a meal plan as part of the room selection process. If you do not select a meal plan when you select a room, you may do so later through My Dining Account.
Information about meal plans may be found here.
How do I request a roommate?
- Preferred Roommate Requests are only accepted for Fall-Winter Semesters.
- If you and a friend would like to be roommates in the same room, you will both need to make a Preferred Roommate Request. This request must be mutual to be honored.
- If you submit a Preferred Roommate Request that is not mutual -
- It will not be a valid Preferred Roommate Request, and the one with the earlier Room Selection Date and Time will not be able to pull the other person into the room.
- The student with the earlier room selection date should select a space on his or her Room Selection Date and Time, and see what rooms may be available on the other student's later Room Selection Date and Time.
- To make a Preferred Roommate Request, both students must have each other's BYU NetIDs and first and last names spelled correctly. If names or BYU NetIDs are misspelled, your request will not be recognized.
- The student with the earlier Room Selection Date and Time will be the one to select a room and put the other bed space on hold for their preferred roommate.
- The preferred roommate will then receive a message in their My Housing Account notifying them that a bed is on hold. The preferred roommate will then need to click on the included link to start the process of accepting the bed. The agreement must be submitted within 24 hours of the original student contracting, otherwise the hold will expire.
- If a student has a preferred roommate, submits an agreement, and then chooses to swap rooms, the preferred roommate will remain in the original room. However, if the student chooses a different space before submitting an agreement for the Fall-Winter, then the preferred roommate can move with the student.
- To submit your Preferred Roommate Request:
- Log in to My Housing Account and go to the Housing Agreement page under the "Single Housing" tab.
- Click "Edit" under "Your Roommate Request" to enter your Preferred Roommate's NetID. If you have entered the NetID correctly, your preferred roommate's name should appear. If it does not, please contact the Campus Accommodations office immediately at 801-422-2611 for assistance.
- First day to indicate roommate preference--Fall-Winter 2017-18 TBD
- Last day to indicate roommate preference--Fall-Winter 2017-18 TBD
How do I select a room and meal plan?
- On your Room Selection Date, log in to My Housing Account shortly before your Room Selection Time. Do not log in to your My Housing Account from multiple electronic devices as it may keep you from selecting a bed space.
- Go to the Single Housing tab and select "Housing Agreement" from the drop down menu to choose your agreement period. Students accepted for Summer Term should select their Summer Term housing space first, then repeat the process for Fall-Winter Semesters where they may be able to select the same space selected for Summer Term, if desired.
- If you and a friend have submitted mutual preferred roommate requests, you will be prompted to select whether or not you would like to automatically hold the other bed
in your chosen room for your friend. If you choose yes, you will see the number of available rooms that have both bed spaces empty. When you select a space, the other bed will
automatically be held for 24 hours and your friend can log in to accept the hold, regardless of his or her own Room Selection Date and Time.
Please be aware that once you and your preferred roommate have contracted for a room, you will not be able to switch rooms. If you and your roommate need to change rooms together, please contact Campus Accommodations at 801-422-2611.
- Select a room by choosing the housing area, building, floor, and bed you would like from the available spaces. On the floor plans, available beds will be green, beds on hold will be yellow, and beds that have already been selected will be red. Uncolored (white) beds are not available for room selection. When you select your bed, it will turn blue. The bed will be held for 1 hour, allowing you time to complete and submit your agreement. If you do not complete and submit an agreement for the space within 1 hour, the space will be released for others to select.
- Place holds for other students. See "How do I hold a bed for a friend in another bedroom?" below.
- Create a personal profile which includes some of your likes, dislikes, habits and standards of living. This profile will be visible to other students looking at your room/apartment once you have selected a bed. You will also be able to see the profiles of potential roommates by clicking on the red bed spaces in a given room.
- Check both eligibility boxes, where they apply, stating that you have never been evicted and are not a sex offender.
- Create a confidential Housing Identifier, which acts as a password on your housing and dining records. You may also designate individuals to whom you would like to give access to your housing and dining information. This step is in compliance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). Anyone calling our office regarding your housing and dining records will need to provide your Housing Identifier to receive specific information over the phone. For more information click here.
- Select a meal plan and read through the Terms and Conditions before submitting your agreement(s). Note: Helaman Halls residents are required to have a full meal plan. Residents in Heritage Halls and Wyview Park are encouraged to select a meal plan as well, although it is not a requirement.
- Print a copy of the confirmation page to keep for your records.
- Those students selecting summer housing and who will also be selecting a room for the following Fall-Winter Semesters, will need to immediately repeat this process for the following Fall-Winter Semesters.
- Pay your $50 Processing Fee and $100 Security Deposit in My Financial Center under Unpaid Charges.
A copy of your agreement may be viewed through the agreement confirmation message posted to your My Housing Account message board after you submit your agreement. Contact the Campus Accommodations Office immediately at 801-422-2611 if you do not receive the confirmation message.
How do I change my room?
You may select a different room at any time before or during the agreement period on My Housing Account by selecting "Housing Agreement (Room Selection)" from the Single Housing tab. Select the semester/term and click on "Find a Different Room" at the bottom of the page.
Available beds will appear green; you are welcome to select any of these. A bed appears orange if its current resident has indicated that he or she might be willing to swap rooms with another resident. If you select an orange bed, a Room Swap Request will be sent to the current resident of that bed. The swap will be complete when the other student accepts your Room Swap Request and that request is approved by your hall advisor and their hall advisor.
If you and a preferred roommate contracted for a room together, you will not be able to make room swaps. If you and your preferred roommate need to change rooms together, please contact Campus Accommodations at 801-422-2611.
Whether you are changing or swapping, make sure to obtain a confirmation number after submitting an agreement for the new space.
Click here for more information and instructions regarding Room Swaps.
How do I hold a bed for a friend in another bedroom?
To hold a bed in another bedroom within your apartment at Heritage Halls, select it and enter the NetID of your friend when prompted. Please note that you must use your friend's NetID. Names, BYU ID#'s, etc. will not be accepted. Your friend now has exactly one hour to log in and accept the hold before it expires.
You may repeat this process to hold a bed for an eligible friend as many times as there are available beds in your room/apartment. An eligible friend is someone whose room selection date is the date and time you are selecting, or earlier. For example if you are attempting to place a hold on April 1 at 4:00 p.m., the hold may only be for someone whose room selection date is April 1 at 4:00 p.m. or earlier.