The following information is applicable to prospective residents of Helaman Halls, and Heritage Halls who graduate from high school in 2018 for Fall-Winter 2018-19 and Winter Only 2019. Room assignments for the Foreign Language Student Residence are done by the College of Humanities.
Room selection dates and times for the Students Under 19 communities (2018 high school graduates) are based on when the student submits his/her completed application to the university.
Collapse all | Expand all
When do I select a room in a Students Under 19 community?
Students who are admitted to the university are automatically eligible to live in on-campus housing. No additional application is necessary.
Room selection dates and times for the Under 19 communities (2018 high school graduates for Fall-Winter 2018-19 and Winter Only 2019) are based on when the student submits his/her completed application to the university. Please note: The admission application timestamp will not be modified.
Fall-Winter Semesters 2018-19
- First day to indicate roommate preference (must be mutual to be honored)--March 7
- Last day to indicate roommate preference (must be mutual to be honored)--March 12
- Room selection dates posted to MHA message board--5:00 pm on March 16
- Room selection for Newly Admitted Students Under 19 (based on room selection date and time)--March 27-April 11
- Beginning on March 27, you may see the number of spaces available by selecting View Available Rooms from the "Students Under 19" tab on the On-Campus Housing website. In order to choose a room on your room selection date and time, log in to My Housing Account and select "Housing Agreement (Room Selection)" from the "Single Housing" tab.
- There is no guarantee of space availability on your particular room selection date. If there is not space available in your preferred type of room, you may add yourself to the Waiting List.
- Please note: Preferred roommates who have contracted for a room together are unable to change to a different room, request a room swap, or add themselves to the waiting list.
Winter Semester 2019
- The Winter Only 2019 Waiting List will be available beginning at 10:00 a.m. on November 6, 2018.
- You may obtain information regarding how to add your name to the waiting list by clicking here.
- Availability is dependent on cancellations from current residents.
- Your position on the waiting list is based on the completion date of your admissions application in comparison with other admitted students. Adding yourself to the waiting list prior to someone else does not give you priority over them, therefore, you do not have to add your name to the waiting list right at 10:00 a.m. on November 6.
- Once waiting list requests are met, any additional spaces that become available can be seen by selecting View Available Rooms from the "Students 18 and Under" tab on the On-Campus Housing website then select "Winter Only 2019". In order to choose a room, log in to My Housing Account and select "Housing Agreement (Room Selection)" from the Single Housing tab.
- You may also see listings for people searching for replacements on the View Available Rooms link.
When do I select a meal plan?
You may select a meal plan as part of the room selection process. If you do not select a meal plan when you select a room, you may do so later through My Dining Account.
Information about meal plans may be found here.
How do I request a roommate?
- Preferred Roommate Requests are only accepted for Fall-Winter Semesters.
- If you and a friend would like to be roommates in the same room, you will both need to submit a Preferred Roommate Request within the timeframe allowed. This request must be mutual to be honored.
- If you submit a Preferred Roommate Request that is not mutual -
- It will not be a valid Preferred Roommate Request, and the one with the earlier Room Selection Date and Time will not be able to pull the other person into the room.
- The student with the earlier room selection date should select a space on his or her Room Selection Date and Time, and see what rooms may be available on the other student's later Room Selection Date and Time.
- To make a Preferred Roommate Request, both students must have each other's BYU NetIDs and first and last names spelled correctly. If names or BYU NetIDs are misspelled, your request will not be recognized.
- The student with the earlier Room Selection Date and Time will be the one to select a room and put the other bed space on hold for their preferred roommate.
- The preferred roommate will then receive a message in their My Housing Account notifying them that a bed is on hold. The preferred roommate will then need to click on the included link to start the process of accepting the bed. The agreement must be submitted within 24 hours of the original student contracting, otherwise the hold will expire.
- Once the person placing the preferred roommate hold submits an agreement, neither of you will be able to change to a different room, request a room swap, or add your name to the waiting list. If you and your preferred roommate need to change rooms together, please contact Campus Accommodations at 801-422-2611.
- Should either preferred roommate request to terminate their housing agreement or ask for the preferred roommate link to be removed, one or both roommates may be at risk of their housing agreement being canceled by Campus Accommodations.
- To submit your Preferred Roommate Request:
- Log in to My Housing Account and go to the Housing Agreement page under the "Single Housing" tab.
- Click "Edit" under "Your Roommate Request" to enter your Preferred Roommate's NetID. If you have entered the NetID correctly, your preferred roommate's name should appear. If it does not, please contact the Campus Accommodations office immediately at 801-422-2611 for assistance.
- First day to indicate roommate preference--March 7, 2018 at 9:00 a.m. MST
- Last day to indicate roommate preference--March 12, 2018 at 11:59 p.m. MST
How do I select a room and meal plan?
The following information applies to any agreement period unless otherwise indicated:
- On your Room Selection Date, log in to My Housing Account shortly before your Room Selection Time. Do not log in to your My Housing Account from multiple electronic devices as it may keep you from selecting a bed space.
- Go to the Single Housing tab and select "Housing Agreement" from the drop down menu to choose your agreement period. Students accepted for Summer Term should select their Summer Term housing space first, then repeat the process for Fall-Winter Semesters where they may be able to select the same space selected for Summer Term, if desired.
- If you and a friend have submitted mutual preferred roommate requests (Fall-Winter agreements only), you will be prompted to select whether or not you would like to automatically hold the other bed
in your chosen room for your friend. If you choose yes, you will see the number of available rooms that have both bed spaces empty. When you select a space, the other bed will
automatically be held for 24 hours and your friend can log in to accept the hold, regardless of his or her own Room Selection Date and Time.
Once the person placing the preferred roommate hold submits an agreement, neither of you will be able to change to a different room, request a room swap, or add your name to the waiting list. If you and your preferred roommate need to change rooms together, please contact Campus Accommodations at 801-422-2611.
- Select a room by choosing the housing area, building, floor, and bed you would like from the available spaces. On the floor plans, available beds will be green, beds on hold will be yellow, and beds that have already been selected will be red. Uncolored (white) beds are not available for room selection. When you select your bed, it will turn blue. The bed will be held for 1 hour, allowing you time to complete and submit your agreement. If you do not complete and submit an agreement for the space within 1 hour, the space will be released for others to select.
- If you are not able to obtain the type of bedspace you want, the waiting list for 18 and Under Communities will be available.
- Place holds for other students. See "How do I hold a bed for a friend in another bedroom?" below.
- Create a personal profile which includes some of your likes, dislikes, habits and standards of living. This profile will be visible to other students looking at your room/apartment once you have selected a bed. You will also be able to see the profiles of potential roommates by clicking on the red bed spaces in a given room.
- Check both eligibility boxes, where they apply, stating that you have never been evicted and are not a sex offender.
- Create a confidential Housing Identifier, which acts as a password on your housing and dining records. You may also designate individuals to whom you would like to give access to your housing and dining information. This step is in compliance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). Anyone calling our office regarding your housing and dining records will need to provide your Housing Identifier to receive specific information over the phone. For more information click here.
- Select a meal plan and read through the Terms and Conditions before submitting your agreement(s). Note: Helaman Halls residents are required to have a full meal plan. Residents in Heritage Halls and Wyview Park are encouraged to select a meal plan as well, although it is not a requirement.
- Print a copy of the confirmation page to keep for your records.
- Those students selecting summer housing and who will also be selecting a room for the following Fall-Winter Semesters, will need to immediately repeat this process for the following Fall-Winter Semesters.
- Pay your $50 Processing Fee and $100 Security Deposit in My Financial Center under Unpaid Charges.
A copy of your agreement may be viewed through the agreement confirmation message posted to your My Housing Account message board after you submit your agreement. Contact the Campus Accommodations Office immediately at 801-422-2611 if you do not receive the confirmation message.
How do I hold a bed for a friend in another bedroom?
To hold a bed in another bedroom within your apartment at Heritage Halls, select it and enter the NetID of your friend when prompted. Please note that you must use your friend's NetID. Names, BYU ID#'s, etc. will not be accepted. Your friend now has exactly one hour to log in and accept the hold before it expires.
You may repeat this process to hold a bed for an eligible friend as many times as there are available beds in your room/apartment. An eligible friend is someone whose room selection date is the date and time you are selecting, or earlier. For example if you are attempting to place a hold on April 1 at 4:00 p.m., the hold may only be for someone whose room selection date is April 1 at 4:00 p.m. or earlier.
How do I change to a different room?
Please note: Once the person placing the preferred roommate hold submits an agreement, neither of you will be able to change to a different room, request a room swap, or add your name to the waiting list. If you and your preferred roommate need to change rooms together, please contact Campus Accommodations at 801-422-2611.
You may select a different room at any time before or during the agreement period on My Housing Account by selecting "Housing Agreement (Room Selection)" from the Single Housing tab. Select the semester/term and click on "Find a Different Room" at the bottom of the page.
Available beds will appear green; you are welcome to select any of these. A bed appears orange if its current resident has indicated that he or she might be willing to swap rooms with another resident (see further room swap information below).
What Are My Room Swap Preferences?
- By default, your Room Swap Preferences are set so you will not receive any Room Swap Requests. However, if you choose to, you may
change your Room Swap Preferences to accept Room Swap Requests from the following people:
- People from your same building only
- People from your same housing area only
- People from anywhere in On-Campus Housing
- If you change your Room Swap Preferences, your bed will become "swappable" (orange) in the Room Selection process only to other residents who meet the conditions you specify in your Room Swap Preferences. Other residents will be able to send you a Room Swap Request, which will be posted as a message to your Message Board in My Housing Account. You will have 48 hours to accept the request, should you choose to do so.
How Do I Change My Room Swap Preferences?
- Log in to My Housing Account.
- Select "Housing Agreement (Room Selection)" from the Single Housing tab.
- Select the semester or term.
- Under the "Room Swap Preferences" section, indicate your desired room swap preferences and click the "Save My Preferences".
How Do I Send A Room Swap Request?
- Log in to My Housing Account.
- Choose the semester/term for which you would like a room swap.
- Under the "Agreement Options" section, select "Find a Different Room", select the effective date, and click "Continue".
This will take you in to begin the Room Selection process, just like when you selected your room the first time.
- Select your desired housing area.
When you do, you will see a box appear with a list of all the buildings in your selected housing area and how many beds are available in each building. Please note that this count includes both empty (green) beds as well as swappable (orange) beds.
- Select your desired building from the list.
- Select your desired floor.
- You should see a floor plan of the floor you selected. Click on your desired room/apartment that has a green or orange bed.
The following legend indicates possible colors you will see and what they mean:
- If you click on a red or orange bed, you will be asked if you would like to see the responses to the Profile Questions of the
person who has selected that bed. Select "View Preferences" to see their responses.
To request the swap, click "Request Swap".
Review the Swap Confirmation page and select "Confirm Swap".
- If you click on a green bed, the bed will be placed on hold for you for one hour while you finish and submit the room swap.
If the other bed in the room is also green, you will be given the option to place that bed on hold for a friend. If the bed is
unavailable or you do not want to place it on hold, continue to Step 5.
Fill out or edit the Preference Survey and continue to Step 6
Check the Housing eligibility boxes, where they apply, stating you have never been evicted and are not a sex offender.
Look over your FERPA information and make any necessary changes. Select whether or not you want to give certain individuals access to your housing records and if BYU can provide information to on-campus stakes/wards of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints for the purpose of obtaining membership records.
- In the Meal Plan Preference section, you can keep your current meal plan by clicking the link to "Continue to Step 8".
If you would like to change your meal plan, you may do so by going to My Dining Account once the room swap has occurred.
If you select a different meal plan than what you have currently, please note that your meal plan will only be changed if the room swap request is accepted and approved. If it is not, there will be no change made to your meal plan.
- Read the Terms & Conditions, check the box certifying your agreement at the bottom, and then click the "Agree - Confirm Swap" button.
- A message of confirmation will post to your Message Board in My Housing Account indicating you have made a Room Swap Request. When and if the Room Swap is accepted and approved, you will again be notified via a message on your Message Board.
|Green||Bed is available|
|Yellow||Bed is on hold|
|Orange||Bed is swappable|
|Red||Bed is already taken|
|White||Bed is unavailable for you|
What Happens Next?
- A message will post to the other resident's Message Board in My Housing Account informing them of the Room Swap Request. This message will contain a link which he/she can use to accept or reject the Room Swap Request within 48 hours. After 48 hours, the Room Swap Request expires.
- If the Room Swap Request is for the current semester/term, it must also be approved by the hall advisors of both students involved in the swap. If the Room Swap Request is for a semester/term which hasn't begun yet, approval from the hall advisor is not required.
- You will be notified via a message on your Message Board if the Room Swap has been performed.
- If a Room Swap Request expires, gets rejected, or is not approved, you will not be allowed to submit another Room Swap Request for that same space. You may, however, submit a request for a different bed.
How Do I Cancel My Room Swap Request?
If your Room Swap Request has already been performed, you cannot cancel it. If, however, your Room Swap Request is still pending (i.e. hasn't been accepted and approved), you may cancel it by doing the following:
- Log in to My Housing Account.
- Under the Single Housing tab, select "Housing Agreement (Room Selection)".
- Select the semester or term.
- Under the "Change Your Room and Bed Selection" section, select "Cancel Swap Request".
Whether you are changing or swapping, make sure to obtain a confirmation number after submitting an agreement for the new space.