Resident Assistant Responsibilities
Commit to educating residents within the Aims of a BYU Education:
A BYU Education should be:
- Spiritually strengthening
- Intellectually enlarging
- Character building
- Leading to lifelong learning and service.
Teach the values outlined by the Office of Residence Life's Educational Outcomes to each
assigned resident. These values are integrity, community, cleanliness, life-skills, and balance.
Lead residents by personal example in spiritual integrity, academic commitment, moral character,
emotional maturity, and community standards.
- Enroll in StDev 358R (TTh 4-4:50) and maintain a grade of B or higher.
- Meet with each assigned resident within the first two weeks to become acquainted with him or her.
- Make informal weekly visits to residents to maintain contact and discuss their concerns.
- Serve as a resource for residents by referring them to academic, medical and counseling services.
- Act as an advisor for floor, hall, and area functions.
- Facilitate the community standards process.
- Select and advise a floor or hall council to coordinate programs to meet the needs of the residents.
Safety And Security
- Ensure each assigned resident has reviewed emergency procedures.
- Promote hall safety and security, and resident personal safety, by educating residents on safety and security issues.
- Unlock and/or secure halls as outlined by the hall advisor.
- Assist with hall emergencies.
- Meet with incoming residents for check-in.
- Collect and review a room or apartment inventory for each assigned resident.
- Educate residents on proper care and maintenance of hall facilities.
- Work with residents to resolve maintenance concerns.
- Assist the hall advisor in conducting a monthly inspection of rooms for fire hazards, proper maintenance and housekeeping.
- Maintain regular contact with the hall advisor to report resident concerns, maintenance repair needs, etc.
- Investigate and report violations of university and residential living standards and policies to the hall advisor.
- Document and inform the hall advisor of serious incidents, resident illnesses, and ongoing pranks.
- Submit weekly written reports to the hall advisor. Attend weekly staff meeting as outlined by the hall advisor and area management.
- Become fully acquainted with and supportive of residential living guidelines.
- Act directly under the supervision of the hall advisor.
- Support the hall advisor and Residence Life administration in their responsibilities.
- Be available to fulfill floor, desk, and/or cell phone assignments as directed by the hall advisor.
- Fulfill other assignments as directed by the hall advisor.